Tuesday, July 12, 2011

#714 - Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu


Game #714
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Games Plus

Finally! It's been a while, but a round of game hunting has paid off with a copy of Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu. Apparently Jackie Chan was popular enough in 1990 to warrant a licensed Nintendo game - who knew? You'll notice the Randall's store stickers all over the cart - I love finding old rental copies. They remind me of when I would rent games from the grocery store or rental shop on the weekends. Sorry for the blurry cell phone picture.

Games Plus is a great little franchise in the Houston area (and maybe beyond...not sure) that sells new and used video games and movies. They pride themselves on besting GameStop's prices by a buck or two on used games, but what I like them for is their stock of retro games. Most of the locations I've been to go as far back as the Atari 2600 - although I understand they're liquidating their stock at the moment. In fact, I noticed quite a bit of clearance rack titles from all systems (mostly commons and sports titles) for as low as $1. If I was just starting my collection I'd be pretty stoked to pick up a big pile of carts for a dollar each. Side note - I'm guessing the Guitar Hero/Rock Band craze has lost all momentum - there were tons of copies of GH/RB titles for $1 as well...

I'd wager to guess that at least 20-25% of my collection has come from Games Plus stores. Most of the games I've bought from them are within the $3-5 range - and they almost always feature a buy x get 1 free (sometimes it's buy 2, sometimes 3 or 4) promotion. When I first started collecting I stopped in at least once a week and left with a half dozen or more games at a time, sometimes stumbling upon an uncommon or pricey game for a deal. I still check in every so often like I did this week, and luckily came away with a new collection piece. I also snagged a complete boxed copy of Mario Kart for the Game Boy Advance - which is super neat.

Unfortunately, finding games 'in the wild' has become more difficult due to the fact that there are so few games left that I need, and the ones that I am searching for are the uncommon/rare titles. So it's back to the Internet to scour for deals...in fact I should have one arriving in the mail some time soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment