Sunday, April 24, 2011

#692 - Die Hard


Game #692
Die Hard
Paid $20
4/22/11 - Game Over Video Games

An Easter weekend trip to San Antonio and Six Flags Fiesta Texas came with some built-in time for a little game hunting. My wife actually lived in S.A. for a few years, but this was before I started collecting so the whole city for me is an untapped resource. My only find (in admittedly limited searching) was at a newly opened Game Over store location. I had heard of the chain before from a video made by ScrewAttack.com, it's half retro game store and half museum. Lined up and down the walls are vintage systems, boxes and pieces of advertisement fluff from years past. It was very fun to just walk around and look at the cool stuff in the glass cases.

Speaking of glass cases, my new copy of Die Hard went almost unnoticed until I showed a sales guy my list and he pointed out the cart hidden under a couple of other titles. Yeah, $20 isn't so great of a deal on this one, but the only other time I saw this game for sale it was $35 and the label was ripped. According to the NA collection tracker, this is the cart that put me over 90% completion, and with this few remaining games I've decided to take a slightly below market value price tag as something I won't pass up.

What really will stand out from this visit is the first thing my eyes went to as I scanned their inventory. There amongst the MegaMan 2's and Ninja Gaidens sat a slightly off-white cart with a boring label that someone had drawn little people on with pencil. The price tag read $999.99. The game was Myriad 6-in-1 - one of the most highly sought after titles by completionist collectors. The game itself is the same as the unlicensed Caltron 6-in-1 but with a new label slapped on by Myriad once they bought out the Caltron stock. Very few of these exist and they command a high price tag. There are about half a dozen titles I know I'll never own unless I really luck out at a flea market or garage sale, and this is definitely one of those. I imagine that a collector with deeper pockets or who has been searching for this game for years would jump at a cool $1k price - but for me, right now, all I could do was look at it and take my crummy Die Hard game home. I did have to laugh that the label was drawn all over with pencil and a big "#14" was written on it with a magic marker.

Next time...what has the Easter Bunny brought for this blogger???

No comments:

Post a Comment