Friday, May 13, 2011

#698 & 699 - Urban Champion & Captain America


Games #698 & 699
Urban Champion & Captain America
Paid $11
Evil eBay

Ah, eBay. So simple to find what you're looking for, but so difficult to find it at a decent price. There are many resellers of retro games on eBay, and at times it can feel like they're all working together to keep prices high. I blame the "Buy it Now" option. Often when you see a game at a high "BIN" price, if you look at the recently completed auctions you'll see that most of those high priced listings didn't sell and the few copies that went on open auction sold at a significantly lower final cost to the buyer.

What's even worse is actually seeing a good deal get ruined by wacky shipping prices. I mean, does it really cost $6.95 to ship a Nintendo game? I know from experience that no, it does not. I could go on ranting about the ins and outs of using eBay, but instead I'll just focus on two recent mail day deliveries - Urban Champion and Captain America & The Avengers.

As I mentioned in my DK Jr Math post, I prefer to pick up the 'black box' games if they actually come with the black box. While Urban Champion itself is by no means a rare game (it's rather common in fact) finding it in the box can cost a good amount - especially on eBay. So this is another one that I don't mind picking up loose and just hope to stumble on a box later.

Captain America I could've bought about a year ago for a few bucks, but didn't for some reason and I haven't seen it again since then. I've seen some gameplay footage on the fantastic website www.nesguide.com - so I might try this one out later, once I finish playing through the excellent but unknown Journey to Silius.

The next game in the collection will be #700 - which is crazy. My plans are to check out some garage sales and flea markets tomorrow - check back later for an update and wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment